Buying a silk comforter need not be a chore. A few simple steps will have you on your way to a comfy night's rest in no time.
- Check the size of your bed. Bedding has some standard sizes, but each manufacturer has their own interpretation of what exact dimensions a King, Cal King, Queen, or Full size comforter should be. Measure your bed and also decide how much drape over the edges you want. When shopping for the comforter, don't go just by the name of the size - make sure you check the size charts to see which dimensions fit your bed.
- Learn about your options. Silk-filled, 100% silk, cotton casing, jacquard casing - the list is long. Know what kinds of silk comforters are on the market. This is a long term investment, so be prepared to pay for the quality you deserve. And don't forget that a duvet cover is highly recommended, and usually not included in the price of a silk comforter.
- Research the prices. Get as many details about the silk comforter as you can. Is its shell cotton or silk, if the latter, Habotai or Jacquard? What is the fill weight? What type of silk filling is used? What are the dimensions? Is the workmanship warrantied? Make sure two comforters are truly comparable before comparing their prices. Silk comforters are not yet a true commodity, so shopping comparison sites will not be of much help.
- Select a merchant. Silk comforters are still not entirely mainstream products, so call around to see if local shops carry them. There are also many online stores that carry them - go with one that has a guarantee, warranty, and glowing customer reviews. If the comforter doesn't live up to your expectations, you'll want a no-hassle return process. It's easy enough to find silk comforter merchants - just use Yahoo or Google to search on "silk comforter" and take a look at the "Sponsor Results" on the top or right-hand side of the page, or check out our list of merchants.
- Choose a weight. Depending on where you live and how you like to sleep, you may need a lighter comforter, a heavier one, or both. See our guide to help you out.
- Select a cover. Silk comforters should always be covered to allow for easy care and maintenance. Buying a cover at the same time that you buy the comforter saves you time and effort, and will assure that the cover will fit. It makes sense to buy more than one cover, to allow you to change the look of your bedroom, and also swap covers quickly when one needs to be laundered. You'll want the quality of the cover to match that of the comforter - the cover is what you'll see and feel every day. Look for high thread count cotton covers (300 or more), or silk covers. Keep in mind that silk duvet covers are not as easy to launder as cotton.